Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mr Potter, I presume?

The end is nigh.

No, not doomsday; I’m referring to the end of the Harry Potter film trilogy. There’s only one book (two movies' worth) of information left to hit the big screen.

What amuses me, though, is the difference between those who have read the books, and those who say: “I’ll just wait for the film to come out”.

I’ve read the books. They’re light, easy entertainment and Jess certainly knows how to twist a good plot. The last book was a great thrillride.

Did you notice the pattern though? In each of the last four books an important character was killed off: Cedric Diggory in Goblet of Fire; Sirius Black in Order of the Phoenix; Dumbledore in Half-Blood Prince; and Harry (briefly), Voldemort and a handful of others in Deathly Hallows.

People were sad when Diggory died; shocked when Black died and virtually went into mourning when Dumbledore took a terminal dive off a Hogwarts tower.

So I went to see Half-Blood Prince at the cinema last week. At the end of the film there were two distinct reactions among the audience, depending on whether they had read the book or not.

Those who had read the book: Wow, that was fun. I love how they played the teen romance thing for laughs. That was the lightest Harry Potter film in a long time.

Those who hadn’t read the book: What do you mean Dumbledore’s dead? Does he come back? That’s sooo sad. I’m just going to have a little cry.

1 comment:

  1. I've only ever seen the first 3 movies. I've been half afraid that the movies will ruin my experience, but so far, the characters in the movies have been pretty great!

    So, I must see the remaining movies!

    BTW, we have a great black feral cat that hangs around our house. He's named Sirius in honor of Harry's godfather, Sirius Black!

    ReplyDelete