Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bill's Folly

I work with a hilarious bloke called Bill O'Byrne. I'd heard of him even before I started working here, but that was a couple of friends saying: "Oh yeah, he's a really nice bloke."

And it's true. He's wonderfully self-depricating and hilarious.

So he's started a blog in conjunction with the Dominion Post newspaper. The blog is called His Place, which (just between you and me) was reached after his suggestion of Men's Bits was rejected.

Anyway, his column kicked off with a hiss and a roar. Literally, as it happens.

He went up the coast and met these kids who had developed their own spud gun. Except they shoot apples, because a bag of seconds apples is cheaper than a bag of potatoes. They spray cheap hairspray into a chamber at the end of a PVC tube, ignite it and BOOM; the projectile is projectiling.

So Bill sets up the camera and rushes about 50m away with another video camera and prepares to be shot at. He's prepared to do this because a) he's wearing a cheap MIG fighter pilot helmet he bought off Trade Me; and b) he figures he'll have just enough time to duck out of the way of the oncoming apple.

Only one shot was fired. Nobody was hurt. But shit it was close.

I share this with you because the first time I saw it, I was LMAO, veritably ROFL; and I still LOL every time I watch it. (Ah, remember a time when you could laugh without letters?)

Anyway, enjoy:



Check out Bill's highly entertaining blog at: http://hisplaceblog.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment