Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sleepyhead thinks you're an idiot

One thing I really hate; I mean I loathe, as in bring on the bamboo shoot manicure despise is advertisers who think you are stupid.

They want you to purchase their product with your hard-earned cash but they also, in their ads, demonstrate that they think you are a moron.

In New Zealand there’s one company that is like fingernails on the blackboard every time I hear their jingle. This is odd, because I have absolutely no problem with the company or their products… just their ads.

The company is Sleepyhead. They make beds.

Their ads all start with a jingle they’ve had for years, where some guy cheerily sings: “Now you don’t buy a bed every day…”

There used to be a whole song, but that’s gone by the way. The announcer then cuts in with the mattress of the week specials etc.

The ads end with the end of the jingle: “…you can sleep on it!”

Brainless condescending bastards they are.

“Now you don’t buy a bed every day.” Think about it. Could there be a more bloody obvious statement?

"OH MY GOD! LOOK! The sky isn't falling!"

Or possibly:

*Yawn* *Stretch* Well, that was a good night’s sleep, I’ll just hit the bed destruction button and Sleepyhead will deliver a new one this afternoon. Not that there’s anything wrong with this one, it was brand new yesterday, but hey, I buy a bed every day.

What a waste. Thank God we have Sleepyhead to prevent such scenarios by warning us not to buy a bed every day, despite it being to their obvious economic advantage. Oh crap, my sarcasm meter just went off the dial.

So we come to the end of the ad: “You can sleep on it!”

WTF? That’s like trying to sell a new car by saying: “You can drive it!”

Here, buy the new Porsche 911 Carrera – it has four wheels, a motor and look, even a steering wheel. The driver sits here, in the driver’s seat, and uses these controls to make the car go brmmmm brrmmmm.

So Sleepyhead – a little heads up (so to speak). The only time I’ll be caught sleeping on one of your mattresses is if your ads give me a brain aneurism and I have no choice.

2 comments:

  1. I did once see a car on TradeMe with "Steering wheel" listed under "special features". It was a bit worrying, cuz it's not on every auction listing. Could I be bidding on cars that don't have this feature?

    ....muppets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you missed the point friend. The you don't buy a bed everyday is referring to the importance of the decision. And the sleep on it refers to taking time to make the descion as sleep on the idea before purchasing. Its all quite clever really

    ReplyDelete